Entrepreneurship Series: The Lamp Post Model
In this short video, Vince explains a model for growing start-ups that he has developed over his 20 years of founding and working in start-ups. Vince uses the analogy of a landscape where the horizon is the market your company is trying to tackle. In the distance is a physical landmark, perhaps a lamp post, that represents your goal.
Watch the video below to learn the rest.
Vince Han is the founder and CEO of Mobile Coach and a frequent speaker at conferences such as Training Conference, DevLearn, Learning Solutions, Masie’s Learning Conference, ATD ICE, ATD Techknowledge and others.
He holds an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Vince is an industry thought-leader for learning and learning technology with an emphasis on artificial intelligence and chatbot technology. Vince has founded several successful technology companies and resides in Utah.
- The horizon represents the market you are targeting
- The lamp post represents the goal you are working toward
- It is important that the landmark is physical and visible
- When you put your head down and start digging toward the goal, it is important to periodically pop your head up and ask two questions
- First question, are you on track and heading for the landmark?
- Second question, is that landmark still the right destination?
- In Vince’s experience, the answer to both questions is usually “No”
- There are two dangers in this exercise
- First, you get paranoid that the target is moving, and you debate endlessly about where to go and nothing gets done
- Second, you get emotionally attached to the work you’ve already done that you cannot accept that the target has changed
Moral of the story
First, develop the right cadence for popping your head up and asking the two questions.
Second, surround yourself with the right team that can help you see clearly and exercise good judgement.
Let us know what you think of this model. If you are interested in the work that Mobile Coach is doing and would like to learn more request a demo here.